Saturday, May 31, 2008

Meeting meat

Saturday, May 31, 2008

After about 20 years of being a vegetarian, as you know, I'm now eating red meat. I was planning on neither eating nor cooking it at home. However, I love to cook and decided I should add some meat dishes to my repetior.

In order to do this, I had to actually stop at the meat counter...something I don't ever give a second thought to. The man behind the counter asked me what I needed...."errr, serve this person first" I said, and pointed to my left at the woman who had just walked up. I think I looked like a deer in headlights, which is a funny analogy seeing as I was probably staring at venison. I had gone to the store knowing what I needed, but while the animal of choice was there, it's rump wasn't.

Thank goodness (yet again) for technology...and my Blackberry. I im'd my Mum from the pre-prepared food isle. By now I'd walked away from the meat counter because I was sure they were sick of looking at me and my cluelessness and I was getting fed up saying "no, you can go before me". She explained, after realizing while I food shop most days, it's NEVER EVER been for red meat and that I could buy a beef instead of lamb. I went back with my head held high, told a different meat man what I wanted, paid and left. Crisis averted.

Then there's my dog, who thinks this is the best thing that's ever happened to him. He's not a begging dog, thankfully, because he's never had anything to beg me for! Now there's actual meat in the house...not like he doesn't get some form of it every day, but this is real, there's A LOT of it and boy it smells great. I was cooking last night and his head kept poking around the kitchen door, just in case I had extra to give him, or something fell on the floor (he doesn't care about the 3 second rule). I, of course kept out a little bit of meat and gave it to him when I was finished.

I gotta say, the dish is actually quite tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment