Thursday, June 26, 2008

what now...

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Today started out great. I took Ollie for a walk, in my MBT's, then to the park, also in my MBT's. Work, where I wore my Fit Flops, was busy and then I had my appointment at the Fertility Clinic. This is where my day took a dive.

I had my blood test and the nurse told me the Doctor wanted to talk to me about options. Then I'd have my ultra sound and she was going to give me a class on using the injectables if I agreed this was the next step.

The Dr first asked me how I was feeling about all of this, "anxious and unsure why I'm not pregnant", then we talked about the donor sperm. He said he didn't think the count was high enough. I was kind of surprised because I figured the sperm bank wouldn't use sperm with a low count. He explained to me that the actual count was normal, but the moving sperm count was lower than normal. This did not make me any less shocked (note to self...I need to call the sperm bank and ask about this). I'd actually made the decision a couple of days ago to look for a new baby daddy, and this cemented it.

Then we talked about what's next. He said after three unsuccessful attempts using Clomid, because of my age, I should consider a more aggressive approach. He suggested injectables and then, if by some bad luck (not his words), this didn't work after a couple of cycles, I should then have IVF. I'd be able to tell you all about injectables, if I'd learned about them today, but I can't because I didn't.

Cue the ultrasound...the Doctor, nurse and I were talking during my ultrasound about looking for a new donor and having the sperm sent over. The Dr kept clicking on new screens and measuring something, then as he finished, said to me "unfortunately you're not going to be able to start anything today, you have a 3cm cyst on your ovary. It's a product of the Clomid and will go away on it's own this month, but we can't do anything while it's there."

#$%^*

I'd got my head around the fact that I was going to have to inject myself twice a day and now I have to lay low for the month. The Dr didn't seem to be worried though. Now the Clinic has time to try to get my health insurance company to pay for the injectables...it's apparently CT mandated that they stop paying for fertility treatments after the age of 40.


I know I've talked about this before and even my Doctor thinks it's ludicrous. Who decided that at 40+ a woman can't have "help" getting pregnant, this is the age it's REALLY needed. The insurance companies will pay when you get pregnant though, go friggin' figure. Why is CT different to any other state, NY is 44 years and NJ is 46 years old.

I really need to look into this, saying it's highly unfair is an understatement. I now have a couple of weeks to shop for another baby daddy and I think I might start now...I need SUPER SPERM

No comments:

Post a Comment